All of us have endlessly heard about makeup containing ‘harmful chemicals’ be it on the internet, from a friend who prefers to use natural beauty products, or people who just listen to rumors, believe it and then spread it. Truth being told, the claim is right: beauty products do contain ‘harmful chemicals’, but not all of them do, and the type of chemicals which they have can be different as well. So the next time you decide to buy your favorite cream once again, why not take a look at the back of the box and have a reading on the substances that’s inside it? After all, it could contain one of these harPmful chemicals:
1. Lead: It goes without saying that lead is one of the most poisonous substances for the human body, with the potential to cause even the most deadliest of diseases like cancer.
2. Polyethylene Glycol: Polyethylene Glycol, or PEG, is a penetration enhancer used in many products but is accompanied with ethylene oxide and 1,4-dioxane, the both of which are known carcinogens (agents or chemicals that can cause cancer).
3. Toluene: Hidden under fragrance, this chemical, that’s used in nail and hair products, can cause imbalance in the hormonal and immune system, and also cause problems in fetal development.
4. Placental Extract: Even though placental extracts help in making the nail and hair products more effective, it comes at the cost of a disrupted endocrine system if taken in abnormal quantities.
5. Triclosan: Triclosan is an ingredient most used in hand sanitizers, deodorants, and other antibacterial products but is infamous for causing alterations in the endocrine system (which is basically the system that causes the flow of hormones vital for our body in keeping itself functioning properly)
6. Parabens: Parabens are commonly used substances in makeup and other beauty products in order to keep it preserved for a long time and stay fresh whenever you want to use it. Again, the drawback of parabens is that they can potentially cause cancer and also disrupt the reproductive system.
7. Paraphenylenediamine: Also known as PPE, Paraphenylenediamine is used in dyes and hair products but can cause a lot of damage to the skin.
Even though all of these chemicals seem to be very harmful and dangerous, it’s worth mentioning that the government puts strict regulations against companies to include such harmful chemicals at a minimum. What that means is that you shouldn’t expect any significant damage on your health when you use products that contain such chemicals, provided that the usage of such products is done in moderation.